While moisturizing and cleaning are unquestionably the backbones of any diligent routine, nice pores and skin solely occurs with the common utility of antioxidants. This is why Pycnogenol may develop into your subsequent skincare staple when you get to know all of its perks. If you’re not accustomed to it, be able to free some area in your magnificence arsenal as Pycnogenol packs all the great things to guard, hydrate, brighten and agency the pores and skin. So right here’s the whole lot it’s essential to learn about Pycnogenol in skincare.
What is Pycnogenol?
Pycnogenol is an extract from the Pinus pinaster bark containing quite a lot of pure antioxidants, together with bioflavonoids, catechins, and phenolic acids. It seems Pycnogenol for pores and skin is twice as potent as vitamin E and 4 occasions as potent as vitamin C as an antioxidant, working to scale back UV injury and scavenge free radicals. Yet, there’s way more Pycnogenol will help with, together with diminishing discoloration, boosting hydration, growing collagen ranges, and fortifying the protecting barrier.
Although it expresses the very best advantages when taken orally as dietary supplements, Pycnogenol is pretty effectively absorbed by the pores and skin, delivering virtually the identical outcomes when utilized topically.
Pycnogenol advantages for pores and skin
Pycnogenol is a completely researched compound with over 100 scientific trials backing up its advantages. So, the place does all this hype come from? Simply put, Pycnogenol is hailed as a flexible and multi-tasking ingredient in skincare as a result of its antioxidant energy and talent to advertise collagen and hyaluronic acid ranges. Now, that is how Pycnogenol can profit your pores and skin:
- Provides antioxidant safety: When it enters the pores and skin, Pycnogenol acts as an antioxidant, offsetting UV injury and decreasing the consequences of environmental aggressors. Studies discovered that supplementation with Pycnogenol not solely shields cells in opposition to free radicals however aids in stopping DNA injury in addition to strengthening the physique’s pure antioxidant protection by defending vitamin C, vitamin E, and glutathione from oxidative stress.
- Hydrates the pores and skin: Pycnogenol can also be a super candidate for dehydrated pores and skin because it improves hydration ranges and prevents transepidermal water loss. According to analysis, Pycnogenol will increase the synthesis of hyaluronic acid and collagen, which in flip helps the pores and skin retain moisture and counteract dryness.
- Plumps wrinkles and improves pores and skin elasticity: Fighting getting older indicators is one other perk of Pycnogenol in skincare. Briefly, the speculation behind the anti-aging advantages is said to the exercise of Pycnogenol to stimulate collagen manufacturing and supply photoprotection. Based on a research, utilizing Pycnogenol dietary supplements for 12 weeks considerably enhanced pores and skin elasticity and firmness whereas diminishing the look of getting older indicators, particularly wrinkles and darkish spots.
- Supports therapeutic: Pycnogenol helps speed up pores and skin therapeutic and cut back scar formation. According to a 2004 research, the topical use of a gel containing 1% Pycnogenol shortened the wound therapeutic time by virtually two days, whereas 2% Pycnogenol decreased the therapeutic time by three days. So if you happen to’re coping with pimples scars, it is best to positively put Pycnogenol in your radar.
- Restore the pores and skin’s barrier: Pycnogenol additionally works by restoring and consolidating the pores and skin barrier perform, which acts as the first protection between the pores and skin and the atmosphere. It does that by hindering water loss and defending the lipids that make up the barrier from degradation.
- Fades discoloration: You can even use Pycnogenol to fade hyperpigmentation and even out your pores and skin tone. Long story quick, the advantages of Pycnogenol for pores and skin lightening embody the downregulation of melanin (skin-darkening pigment) via inhibiting tyrosinase enzyme. In one research, the topical use of Pycnogenol lowered the manufacturing of melanin in addition to tyrosinase exercise by about 65%, delivering highly effective depigmenting results when utilized recurrently.
Is it protected?
As far as skincare is worried, Pycnogenol is taken into account a safe-for-skin ingredient and well-tolerated by most individuals — whether or not utilized topically or taken orally. However, Pycnogenol shouldn’t be taken in the course of the first three months of being pregnant as a precaution. And as for the really useful focus, 150 mg per day of Pycnogenol supplies the very best advantages whereas preserving unwanted effects at a minimal. For topical use, something between 1% to three% Pycnogenol will do.
How to make use of it
You can use Pycnogenol for pores and skin both by taking dietary supplements or making use of merchandise containing it. Since it’s a mild ingredient, Pycnogenol is present in all types of merchandise addressing issues like pores and skin getting older, darkish spots, solar injury, dehydration, and compromised barrier. For the very best Pycnogenol merchandise, we advocate The Ordinary Pycnogenol 5%, Sesderma Resveraderm Antiox Serum, and COSRX Pure Fit Cica Serum.
Finally, Pycnogenol could be paired with most components in skincare, together with retinol, vitamin C, and glycolic acid. As a matter of reality, Pycnogenol and retinol make an awesome workforce for battling getting older indicators, whereas vitamin C and Pycnogenol get you a successful workforce of antioxidants.
- Grether-Beck S, Marini A, Jaenicke T, Krutmann J: French Maritime Pine Bark Extract (Pycnogenol®) Effects on Human Skin: Clinical and Molecular Evidence. Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2016;29:13-17. doi: 10.1159/000441039
- Simpson T, Kure C, Stough C. Assessing the Efficacy and Mechanisms of Pycnogenol® on Cognitive Aging From In Vitro Animal and Human Studies. Front Pharmacol. 2019;10:694. Published 2019 Jul 3. doi:10.3389/fphar.2019.00694
- Marini A, Grether-Beck S, Jaenicke T, Weber M, Burki C, Formann P, Brenden H, Schönlau F, Krutmann J. Pycnogenol® results on pores and skin elasticity and hydration coincide with elevated gene expressions of collagen kind I and hyaluronic acid synthase in ladies. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2012;25(2):86-92. doi: 10.1159/000335261. Epub 2012 Jan 21. PMID: 22270036.
- Blazsó G, Gábor M, Schönlau F, Rohdewald P. Pycnogenol accelerates wound therapeutic and reduces scar formation. Phytother Res. 2004 Jul;18(7):579-81. doi: 10.1002/ptr.1477. PMID: 15305320.
- Leis Ayres, E., dos Santos Silva, J., Eberlin, S., Facchini, G., Vasconcellos, C. and Da Costa, A. (2022), Invitro impact of pine bark extract on melanin synthesis, tyrosinase exercise, manufacturing of endothelin-1, and PPAR in cultured melanocytes uncovered to Ultraviolet, Infrared, and Visible gentle radiation. J Cosmet Dermatol, 21: 1234-1242. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocd.14202